Thursday 3 October 2013

WHO IS A PATRIOT?- OGHAGHARE ESE FREEMAN


The English language is so robust with words; that too often we use such words without having a good grasp of their meanings
.
Yesterday on my way to my research site, I branched a newspaper stand just to see some headlines making news on some pages of the Newspapers.

As expected a few youthful minds were all standing in clusters of small groups peering into the newspapers with rapt attention
, all in a bid, to keep themselves abreast with pressing National issues as it regards to the polity. At the other corner, a few of them were engaged in an intellectual discuss questioning the intentions of our political leaders in view of the actions embarked by them recently.
It was rather very unfortunate I could not join in the parley for the mere reason I was in a hurry to catch the next cab to my research site.

It is 2:30 pm in the Afternoon.

Awoken from my sleep by the sound of the generators; I suddenly had a flash thought of my encounter in the morning.

What comes to mind is the prying question. Who is a Patriot?

I quickly reached for my Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary to get true meaning of who a patriot is. It was pertinent I did that search because just everyone these days says they are patriots.

Who is a patriot?

“A person who loves their country and who is ready to defend it against an enemy”  (Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary).

This definition is two pronged and is very explicit as to who really is a patriot. A true patriot must first love her country and secondly, must be ready to defend it against an enemy.

I get to understand when an American says I am a Patriot, because overtime they have displayed this attribute and made it a way of life. When a Nigerian says am a Patriot; sincerely I have my reservations because either they say so in hypocrisy or just one on of the virtues of a true patriot would be missing.

It is unequivocal that corruption is the common enemy undermining our development and existence.

 Did I just mention Existence?

Maybe you don’t know a good proportion of Nigerians are seriously impoverished.
How do we fight this scourge, corruption collectively?

Governments’ policies are hounded on falsehood. They certainly are not people oriented. They have the look but lack every merit to be so-called. I begin to wonder at this time of our Nationhood what the government is most concern about is National Conference. I remember we had one in the past. What result did it yield?

OH YES!  Now I understand. The last one was made to look like it had a genuine path only to have an underground hidden agenda- the third term. I wouldn’t be surprised a bit if this also have a hidden agenda. What we await is who amongst the brilliant Thirteen is the Jerry. The President had always advocated for a seven years single tenure system. Just may be in the usual PDP style, this is a veritable means of smuggling that idea, just to give it some public credence. This may stem from the fact that some certain powers are pressuring him to step aside.  The Senate President gave some hint in that direction recently. So it is clear it is a new scheme to scam Nigerians. You can see how patriotic our leaders are.

Corruption cuts across all spheres and facets of our society, age, tribe, Party, religion and region.
We had patriots but they had since long gone. What we have today are hypocrites, sadist and cultist. Who knows no love but fights for her selfish-interest.

I have lost hope and trust in our today’s leaders because they are yesterday’s men. I speak to the young minds-tomorrow’s men.

 We should orientate our minds and stand for what is just. Always Act Right. Never justify what is bad just because we may be wrong. Always seek and speak the truth even when it is not convenient.

When I brighten the corner where I am, and you brighten the corner just where you are. I believe Nigeria would be good for it and would awaken from her slumber.

 The future has to be bright. Let’s start NOW. Be a Patriot today.

OGHAGHARE, ESE FREEMAN
esefreeman@rocketmail.com
070344791790

No comments:

Post a Comment